Friday, March 01, 2002

"Roxane
You don't have to put on the red light."

Holy shit. Fucking emotive song. It does NOT get better (or worse) than this.

I'm listening to it (Roxane from the Moulin Rouge Soundtrack) and it's all happening at once- I am tor in between the straining and ripping and tearing of the instrumentation- the fertive strings, the desperate piano- and by both singers- the anger of one, the jealousy and brokenheartedness of the other......God, Ewan MacGregor's signing.

To me it's shame. It's shame and it's jealousy and it's desperation and it's anger and it's helplessness. It's screaming at the skies that can't hear you and loving the one who won't touch you, who touches someone else. It's everything deception, unrequoited love, hatred, beauty, and shamefulness is. And more, and less, and...god. I love this song.

Starts it so slowly, and then pulls you in, with force that you can't expect no matter how many times you hear it. None of the sounds or the emotions go forfeit to the others.

"His eyes upon your face
His hand upon your hand
His lips caress your skin
It's more than I stand!"

I have to burn Jenn's copy of this CD- the music of Moulin Rouge is amazing. Not just this one, but I think this must be my favorite.

Download it. Get a pair of headphones, hold them to your ears, turn it up a little louder than it should be and let it bring you to places you've been oh so many times before. Let it make you more real.

And make sure you're sitting first. Cause this baby will dropkick you.

On with it.